Returns policy: cover
1. This template legal document was produced and published by SEQ Legal LLP.
2. We control the copyright in this template, and you may only use this template in accordance with the licensing provisions in our terms and conditions.
3. The current version of our terms and conditions is available at: http://www.website-contracts.co.uk/our-terms-and-conditions.html.
4. You will need to edit this template before use. Guidance notes to help you do so are set out at the end of the template. During the editing process, you should delete those guidance notes and this cover sheet. Square brackets in the body of the document indicate areas that require editorial attention. “ORs” in the body of the document indicate alternative provisions. By the end of the editing process, there should be no square brackets left in the body of the document, and only one alternative from each set of alternatives should remain. Elements may be specified as optional in the accompanying notes, but that does not mean that they are in all cases removable. Depending upon the circumstances, an optional element may be: (i) required by law; or (ii) necessary to ensure that the document is internally consistent.
5. The template is intended for use on websites that are run by operators situated in England and Wales and focused on users situated in England and Wales; it can be adapted for use in relation to other jurisdictions, although this should only be done by someone with the requisite familiarity with the law of the relevant jurisdiction.
6. If you have any doubts about the editing or use of this template, you should seek professional legal advice.
7. You may be able to get free legal guidance using our public Q&A system, available at: http://www.seqlegal.com/questions.
8. You can request a quote for legal services (including the adaptation or review of a legal document produced from this template) using this form: http://www.seqlegal.com/request-quote.
1.1 We understand that from time to time you may wish to return a product to us.
1.2 We have created this policy to enable you to return products to us in appropriate circumstances.
1.3 This policy shall apply [to all of our customers, irrespective of their geographical location].
1.4 This policy shall apply to [all orders submitted through our website].
1.5 This document does not affect any statutory rights you may have as a consumer (such as rights under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 or the Consumer Rights Act 2015).
2.1 If you have no other legal right to return a product and receive a refund or exchange, then you will nonetheless be entitled to return a product to us and receive a refund in accordance with this policy if:
(a) we receive the returned product within  days following [the date of dispatch of the product to you];
(b) the returned product is [unused, in its original unopened packaging (with any seal or shrink-wrap intact), with any labels still attached, and otherwise in a condition enabling us to sell the product as new];
(c) you comply with the procedure set out in this policy in relation to the return of the product; and
(d) none of the exclusions set out in this policy apply.
3. Returns procedure
3.1 In order to take advantage of your rights under this policy, you must [contact us to obtain a return authorisation number, and then send the product to us with a covering note quoting that number].
3.2 Products returned under this policy must be [sent by Royal Mail Signed For delivery] to [postal address].
3.3 [You will be responsible for paying postage costs associated with returns under this policy.] OR [We will pay the costs associated with the return of products in accordance with this policy.]
4.1 The following types of product may not be returned under this policy:
(a) [food, drink and any other products liable to deteriorate within the period of [3 months] following dispatch];
(b) [DVDs, CDs and other audio or video or audio-visual recordings];
(c) [computer software (whether on CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or otherwise)];
(d) [newspapers, periodicals, magazines or similar products];
(e) [toiletries and cosmetics];
(f) [any product made to your specification];
(g) [any product made to order];
(h) [any product personalised or adapted for you]; or
(i) [gift vouchers].
[additional list items]
5.1 We will give you a refund for the price you paid to us in respect of any product properly returned by you in accordance with this policy.
5.2 We will[ not] refund to you the original delivery charges relating to the returned product.
5.3 [We will refund to you your reasonable postage costs incurred returning the product to us.] OR [We will not refund to you any costs you incur in returning the product to us.]
5.4 We will usually refund any money received from you using the same method originally used by you to pay for your purchase.
5.5 We will process the refund due to you as soon as possible and, in any event, within 30 days following the day we receive your returned product.
6. Improper returns
6.1 If you return a product in contravention of this policy, and you do not have any other legal right to a refund or exchange in respect of that product:
(a) we will not refund the purchase price or exchange the product;
(b) we may retain the returned product until you pay to us such additional amount as we may charge for re-delivery of the returned product; and
(c) if we do not receive payment of such additional amount within 14 days of issuing a request for payment, we may destroy or otherwise dispose of the returned product in our sole discretion without any liability to you.
7. Our details
7.1 This website is owned and operated by [name].
7.2 Our principal place of business is at [address].
7.3 You can contact us:
(a) [by post, using the postal address [given above]];
(b) [using our website contact form];
(c) [by telephone, on [the contact number published on our website from time to time]]; or
(d) [by email, using [the email address published on our website from time to time]].
[additional list items]
Returns policy: drafting notes
We created this returns policy precedent for ecommerce websites selling products to businesses, consumers or a mixture of the two groups. The policy sets out the circumstances in which products may be returned, and details the procedure that must be followed when returning a product. It also explains how refunds will be given, and what happens if a product return does not follow the required procedure. The law provides that sellers must allow customers to return products in certain circumstances. The statutory return rights available to consumers (rather than business customers) include a general right to return products purchased under contracts that have been entered into at a distance. In the usual case, that right is available until the end of the period of 14 days following the delivery of the products. Similarly, customers may have a legal right to return faulty or mis-described products. Those kinds of mandatory return rights are provided for in our terms and conditions of sale template. This returns policy template, on the other hand, can be used to offer customers supplemental (i.e. extra-statutory) rights of return. This policy, together with one of our terms and conditions of sale documents, is included in each of our online shop packs.
Section 1: Introduction
Optional element. Do you wish to specify which customer locations this document applies to?
- Which categories of customer benefit from the rights set out in this document?
Optional element. Do you wish to specify which types of order the document applies to?
To which orders does the document apply?
Optional element. Will this document apply to any contracts with consumers (B2C transactions)?
Section 2: Returns
- What is the length of the period during which returns are permitted (in days)?
- When does the returns period begin to run?
What condition must returned products be in?
Section 3: Returns procedure
Describe the procedure that must be followed when returning a product.
- What postage/delivery method should be used for returns under this document?
To what address should products be returned?
- Who will be responsible for paying the costs associated with the return of a product (typically, postage costs)?
Section 4: Exclusions
- Which categories of products should be specifically excluded from the right of return?
In respect of products that are liable to deteriorate, what period applies?
Section 5: Refunds
Will original delivery charges be excluded from the refund?
Optional element. Will or may a customer incur any costs when returning a product?
Will the operator refund return postage costs?
Section 6: Improper returns
Section 7: Our details
- What is the name of the company, partnership, individual or other legal person or entity that owns and operates the website?
Where is the relevant person’s head office or principal place of business?
- By what means may the relevant person be contacted?
- Where is the relevant person’s postal address published?
- Either specify a telephone number or give details of where the relevant number may be found.
- Either specify an email address or give details of where the relevant email address may be found.